Recent Posts

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Off We Go

Now that the website is finally done (check out the fancy new dekraus.com!) I've got about 10 days left to pursue... other things. Other things have ended up being some commissioned work (which is awesome) and some fix-my-computer work (which I don't mind!) along with a few other things on the side.

One of the commissions was actually started back before the holidays, of a World of Warcraft character. I'm always happy when these pop up because that's mostly what I draw myself on my own time, so I'm pretty familiar. This fellow gave me a unique look to work with, which I really enjoyed, especially all the detailing (like all that hair!) This was also the first time I used the DAZ 3D studio for my reference. I ended up changing his right arm from the model's, but having the general pose and lighting was super-useful.



The other commission is actually *gasp* aviation art, which I haven't done in a long time. I've been gleefully going through references for Huey helicopters for the past three or four days, figuring out the proper variant and markings and doo-dads on the sides. I'd forgotten how much fun that is. It's going to be a large charcoal, too, which I'm also excited about. Charcoal has recently become a favorite medium of mine, but I've never done anything like aircraft with it. Very exciting!

Here is a little study I did yesterday while "getting to know" the Huey. It's wonky in a lot of ways because I was trying to turn a UH-1H into a UH-1E. DON'T GET ME STARTED!


I've also continued doing my drawing exercises, though I haven't been as steady with them as I would like. I've especially slacked off on the painting ones, due in part to some frustration with Painter. When I finally find a brush I like using cheese will fall from the sky and everyone will win a million dollars. Really.

But here's a lovely sketch of Julianne Moore, just because.


I know, kind of doesn't look like her. Oh well. That's what sketches are for.

0 comments:

Post a Comment